Board Member - Secretary
Secretary – MoKan Greyhound Adoption
The Secretary position provides general administrative support to and is a key member of the MoKan Greyhound Adoption board. This position will serve on the board of directors by coordinating and supporting this chapter’s administrative needs.
Responsibilities as a Board Member:
• Attend at least two (2) board meetings during the year.
• Check MoKan e-mail and respond to messages at least once a day.
• Check Facebook page and groups at least once a day.
• Chairs at least one committee and offers to take on special assignments when appropriate.
• Schedule, attend and lead committee meetings specific to your area of expertise if appropriate.
• Gets to know other committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
• Attend functions, fundraisers and special events to gain visibility as a board member, to get to know the other volunteers and to help manage the success of the events.
• Participate in industry Listservs and Facebook Groups to stay informed in the industry, to utilize for the purpose of promoting adoption program events and fundraising efforts and to help promote the resources to other volunteers.
• Assist as needed during emergencies.
• Participate as a foster home regularly so that you may help promote fostering to other volunteers, continue to gain education with regards to managing different types of dogs and to enable you to help troubleshoot problem situations.
• Participate in fundraising for the organization.
• Has or gains full understanding and has or gains a commitment to the mission, goals and objectives of the organization. Has or gains full understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the Board of Directors. Has or gains full understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the volunteers. Has or gains full understanding of the day-to-day activities of the organization.
• Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and the organization.
• Follow conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies.
Responsibilities as the Secretary:
• Maintain Adoptable/Adopter/Foster Database (PetPoint) including tracking adoptions, adopters, available dogs, deceased dogs, bounced dogs, adoptable shots, traits, locations, and all adopter contact information
• Help maintain the Adoptable Status spreadsheet
• Maintain records and files
• Respond to inquiry e-mails w/ other officers
• Assists Treasurer with accounting and year-end paperwork
• Renews state license annually
• Add new adopters to volunteer e-group & Facebook group
• Add new volunteers to whentohelp.com/maintain wth database
• Send Adoption Manual and medical information to new adopters
• Send thank you notes to donors
• Attend board meetings when appropriate
• Certify and keep at the principal office of the corporation the original, or a copy, of these Bylaws as amended or otherwise altered to date.
• Keep at the principal office of the corporation or at such other place as the board may determine, a book of minutes of all meetings of the directors, and, if applicable, meetings of committees of directors and of members, recording therein the time and place of holding, whether regular or special, how called, how notice thereof was given, the names of those present or represented at the meeting, and the proceedings thereof.
• Keep at the principal office of the corporation a membership book containing the name and address of each and any members, and, in the case where any membership has been terminated, he or she shall record such fact in the membership book together with the date on which such membership ceased.
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications as a Board Member:
• Ability to listen, think clearly and creatively, problem solve, work well with people individually and in a group, act as cheerleaders, mentors, and guides to the other volunteers and adopters.
• Willing to prepare for and attend board and committee meetings, ask questions, take responsibility for special projects and complete them thoroughly and on time, contribute personal resources generously and financial resources as circumstances allow.
• Develop necessary skills (if you do not already possess them) through continuing education, research, reading, etc. for the purpose of staying up-to-date on industry topics, advancing knowledge on dog-specific topics, learning skills such as cultivating and soliciting funds, cultivating and recruiting board members and other volunteers, read and understand financial statements, learn more about the substantive program area of the organization.
• Possess sensitivity to and tolerance of differing views, a friendly, responsive and patient approach, community-building skills, personal integrity, a developed sense of values, concern for the non-profit’s development and a sense of humor.
Qualifications as the Secretary:
The right candidate will be detail oriented and can take initiative to work on projects without a lot of guidance or supervision. This is a highly visible role on the MoKan Greyhound Adoption board so this role is expected to have good interpersonal skills and should get to know and interact with the adopters and volunteers. Knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, Outlook) and experience working with a relational database is preferred and knowledge of website building would be preferable. MoKan Greyhound Adoption will provide software if needed.